Let’s Get Educated on Finance, Bridge the Pay Gap and Start to Invest!
In today’s episode, we will speak to my friend Gaëlle the CEO of StarTalers.
StarTalers is a Luxembourg-based fintech company that has developed a sustainable investing platform and that aims at empowering women with regards to their finances.
We will discuss several interesting topics: The pay gap between men and women (and how we can bridge that gap), why it is even more important for women to take back control over their finances and why women are better investors than men. Gaëlle will of course share the WHY? behind StarTalers and how StarTalers is creating a better future through sustainable finance for both men and women.
…or listen on Apple Podcasts
This episode is for you if you feel underpaid at work and do not know how to address the issue (Gaëlle’s story is pretty compelling) and as well if you have not yet started to work on your financial goals. And I repeat the issues apply to us both men and women 😉!
- Facts that puts women at a disadvantage financially:
- Earning potential: The pay gap, they follow a less linear and a less lucrative one.
- Save more proportionally but less in absolute value.
- Only 10% of women invest.
- –> 40% capital gap at retirement and they live longer!
- Lack of visible role models in the financial space: “You cannot be what you cannot see”.
- There is no focus on financial education while growing up. It is not viewed as a skill, one learns by coincidence.
- Statistically, women very rarely negotiate their salary.
- Bridge the gap: Investigate, probe, and compare salaries with your colleagues to see if it is fair. Money/salary is taboo but if you do not talk about it, the unfair system will keep on.
- The hard part is to get women to start investing and once they start they are better investors than men:
- Focus on Longer-term investing
- Less focus on speculative investments and/or trading.
- On average they get 1-2% better net performance than men.
- It s easy to trade on an app (BuxZero, Robinhood,…) but it does not mean that your long-term goals will be met.
- Education is key to build confidence.
- Loss aversion: You will be 2 times more pissed off by losing 100 than making 200. The more you open your app, the higher the probability that you will sell (message in your head – I am losing, I am losing,…). Remember you are in it for the long term, so let that dip in the market pass and go live your life 😀!
Who is Gaelle?
- Website: Startalers
- App: Capitana
- LinkedIn: Gaëlle Haag
- Instagram: @startalers
- Worth checking:
- Book recommendations:
- Best purchase under 100 dollars: Any good book!
If you liked this episode you can buy me a drink, leave a review on Apple Podcasts, or share the episode with a friend 🙏 . Make sure you follow us on social media as well for more great content, check our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and join our e-mail list. I would love to connect with you!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. That means I may make a small commission (at no cost to you) if you make a purchase. This will help to support Joney Talks!