Buy a Vanguard ETF and Chill? Not exactly
In today’s episode, we will speak to my friend Jonny from the Youtube channel Millennials with Money.
Jonny is a British “pan-European” millennial currently living in Spain. He is a financial professional by day and as a side activity, he is helping millennials with their money through his educational online content.
We will cover several interesting topics today: Reaching financial independence in Europe as a millennial, how that path differs from the “classic” American way (Buy a Vanguard ETF and chill). We will also discuss some of the difficulties we have over here but as well some of the great advantages we have and Jonny will tell us his secret to delay gratification in our society of overconsumption.
…or listen on Apple Podcasts
This episode is for you if you want to know more about reaching financial independence in Europe regardless if you are a millennial or not.
- FIRE (Financial Independent, Retire Early) movement in Europe: The universal principles apply but there is less visibility than in the US due to the market fragmentation. Every country is different and so are the tax systems and tax-advantaged solutions for each country. Also, the blogger/influencer scene is fragmented with the different languages.
- Steps that Jonny is taking towards FI: Investing in stocks and other investment vehicles. He follows a strict budget and contributes to his future every month as per his time-based goals
- Pro-Tip: Grow and learn about money together with your friends through a Whatsapp group.
- Money Management tips:
- Start by asking yourself questions and define your goals and time horizon for investing. Starting with these questions will kick off your journey.
- Money education should be all about transparency. Be very wary of “Get rich quick” promises (Do these people need to show both their losses and wins?). Investing is a long-term process that should be boring. One main rule is: Time in the market will deliver much better results than trying to time the market. Time in the market > Timing the market.
- Fun investing is allowed provided that it is a small part of your overall portfolio.
- Read books or articles outside the hype first to get the foundation right.
- Delay gratification: Follow strict criteria (similar to Kanwal‘s investing approach), strict rules, and focus on your long-term plan.
Who is Jonny?
- Youtube: Millenials With Money
- Instagram: @millennialswithmoney_
- Twitter: @millennials_wm
- Tik Tok: @millenialswithmoney
- Facebook: @millenialswithmoney
- Other influencers mentioned: Sandy (FI Belgium) and Kanwal (12 rules for investing in quality companies)
- Book recommendation: Dividends Still Don’t Lie
- Best purchase under 100 euros: A Protective case for your phone or laptop, watch it fall, and relax 😅!
If you liked this episode, please leave a review on Apple Podcasts, share the episode with a friend 🙏 and do follow us on social media as well for more great content, check our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and join our e-mail list. I would love to connect with you!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. That means I may make a small commission (at no cost to you) if you make a purchase. This will help to support Joney Talks!