Create more freedom for yourself
In today’s episode, we will speak to my friend Debbie Arcangeles from The Offbeat Life.
Debbie started her online side business in 2017 and has been able to leave a 9-5 job that was not the right fit for her. Today she hosts her podcast The Offbeat Life where she shares inspiring stories with her location-independent and digital nomad guests.
We will talk about her story, why she started her podcast and online businesses although she was in a good professional situation. Debbie will also share the mistakes she made (so you can avoid them) and she will provide excellent tips to start working on your online business! (spoiler alert: it is hard work! 😅)
…or listen on Apple Podcasts
This episode is for you if you are ready to create more freedom for yourself by starting an online business.
- The environment in which you grow up really affects your money mindset. It sometimes takes a dramatic event for someone to realize there might be another way to look at things.
- For Debbie, the shift came from the panic attacks and unhappiness at her job.
- Even if your work is great and the environment is positive, do not feel guilty or ungrateful. It is okay to not be okay with this, it is about finding what you want to do and how you want to do it (remotely? use your creative side more?)
- Your first attempt at creating a business can fail
- Be prepared for failures and mistakes
- Don’t treat it like a hobby, and on the other hand, do not focus solely on the money. If you are not passionate about it, you will get bored.
- Start while you are in your job, to mitigate the risk. Failing on your “side hustle” will not be that dramatic.
- Some people should stay in their 9-5, some should work remotely or leave, it is not for everyone, but at least give it a try.
- Become successful:
- If you can work on the thing you are passionate about and manage to create systems to monetize it: This is where the magic happens!
- Be creative on the monetization part and create multiple streams of income.
- Creating and building a brand is key to become an authority in your field.
- Work hard in the beginning and show consistency, there are no shortcuts (even next to your 9-5). You can delegate tasks later.
- 3 steps to starting your online business:
- 1. Figure out what it is that you like to do, going out there and try things out,
- 2. Create or join a community so you get realistic advice
- 3. Do not be afraid to invest in yourself (Google with only get you so far).
Who is Debbie?
- Website: The Offbeat Life
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Instagram: @theoffbeatlife
- Clubhouse: @startapodcast
- Book recommendation:
- Best purchase under 100 dollars: A microphone
If you liked this episode, please leave a review on Apple Podcasts, share the episode with a friend 🙏 and do follow us on social media as well for more great content, check our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and join our e-mail list. I would love to connect with you!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. That means I may make a small commission (at no cost to you) if you make a purchase. This will help to support Joney Talks!