In today’s episode, we will speak to my friend Rich Jones from Paychecks & Balances.
While he runs his successful podcast with his friend Marcus, he also works as an Internal Communications Manager at Google for his day job. He has been working for about 12 years in recruitment and staffing in various companies and I thought it would be great to invite him on the show to discuss how one can stand out in a tough job market, especially now.
We will discuss the current job market situation and Rich will provide great insights and tips for optimizing your LinkedIn profile so you can stand out as a job seeker even during these difficult times.
…or listen on Apple Podcasts
This episode is for you if you are currently looking at transitioning into a new role but as well if you are employed and looking at networking and optimizing your LinkedIn profile so you can get noticed for future opportunities.
- Although the volume of opportunities has shrunk, there are still opportunities in the market for new jobs.
- You should still network albeit digitally (keep a long-term relationship-building in mind).
- Optimize your LinkedIn profile for the role you want, and identify your transferable skills (do the dumping exercise)
- If you get a job offer: As usual, you should always negotiate. This tough market does not change your value on the market.
- Keep learning and growing with online courses (e.g. The LinkedIn Learning platform), volunteering, freelancing, and so on. In short, keep yourself busy.
- Keep your LinkedIn profile optimized even if you are employed at the moment and do not write “looking for opportunities” in your headline.
Who is Rich?
Rich is the founder of Paychecks & Balances, a podcast and blog dedicated to helping millennials navigate their finances and careers so they can achieve the freedom they want. Beyond P&B, Rich has 11 years of experience working in staffing and human resources across industries and in 2018 became 100% debt-free. He’s been building online brands since 2008 and podcasting since 2013. By day, he’s an Internal Communications & Change Management Specialist at Google.
- Website: Paychecks & Balances
- Podcast: Paychecks & Balances
- Twitter: @paybalances
- Facebook: @paychecksandbalances
- Instagram: @paybalances
- Free 5-step guide: Change Your Day Job
- Book recommendations:
- Best purchase under 100 dollars: The first tool that can help you get started on your project!
If you liked this episode, please leave a review on Apple Podcasts and do follow us on social media as well for more great content, check our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and join our e-mail list. I would love to connect with you!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. That means I may make a small commission (at no cost to you) if you make a purchase. This will help to support Joney Talks!