Is sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll still a thing?
In today’s episode, we will speak to my buddy Kade from the rock band Throw The Fight.
The fun thing with Kade is that I met him pretty much randomly on a holiday trip in Thailand 6 years ago and had no clue he was playing in a band. Kind of odd, since my main hobby next to this blog/podcast, is basically playing the guitar. We kept in touch through Facebook and as time went by I saw he was posting more and more about his band the concerts they were doing, the album Transmissions on Spotify that got released in 2016 and even videoclips,… and I thought to myself, wow the guy must have left his job and gone for it!
Kade also started his solo project Kade Katz end of last year and I thought it would be great to bring you his story on the Podcast! Well, as you will hear in this interview Kade has not left the workforce just yet but his musical career has definitely grown tremendously in the last years. We will discuss and present both Throw The Fight and the Kade Katz project. We will then dive deep into how he manages his time between the day job, the band and his solo project and Kade will also take us “backstage” to reveal what happens behind the curtain at Throw The Fight: Their journey, their take on the “Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Roll” lifestyle and how to grow today as an independent artist.
This episode is for you if, first and foremost, you are a fan of Kade’s music (solo project or Throw The Fight), but it is as well for you if you are serious about growing your side activity as a business.
- If there was one key take away from this whole episode: Be serious about your passion and treat it like a business. In today’s world, this means Social media management, project management, planning rigorously, being smart about the way you run the business, etc. Kade and his fellow band members have been at it for years and grinding like no one else on their projects up to the point where from the outside they look like a full-time regular band.
- Network in person as well do not only rely solely on digital connections even though these are great and becoming the norm in today’s world.
- You will not always get exactly what you want at first, but by still getting your foot in the door, who knows where things might take you: Kade first entered the band as a bass player although he would have preferred to be the guitar player, and as the band evolved he became the frontman! Next time an opportunity presents itself, think twice!
- Is the Sex, Drugs and Rock’n’ Roll era over? Are we entering the Sleep, diet and exercise and still rock era? I found that part actually refreshing and with a more healthy long-term view.
- Last, but not least, I met Kade a bit randomly during a holiday on the other side of the world, keep an open mind when travelling and who knows you’ll meet next time 😉.
Who is Kade?
Kade is a Minneapolis, MN-based singer-songwriter. He is the frontman for the rock band Throw The Fight and recently launched a moody, stripped-down solo project under the name Kade Katz.
He’s collaborated with grammy nominated producers Grant McFarland and Carson Slovak, performing at Rock USA with icons like Ozzy Osborne and Slayer, and shared the stage with familiar acts like Bad Wolves, From Ashes to New, and All That Remains.
Now, the Singer/Songwriter has teamed up with producer Jeremy Turek, of Nightfall Studios, to create a blend of holistic and atomistic harmonies, giving fans experimental- moody melodies. With plans of upcoming shows, launches, and releases; 2020 will bring a redefined sound for his music career.
- Kade Katz
- Throw The Fight
- Book recommendation: Own the Day, Own Your Life
- Best purchase under 100 USD: A Journal
If you liked this episode, please leave a review on Apple Podcasts and do follow us on social media as well for more great content, check our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and join our e-mail list. I would love to connect with you!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. That means I may make a small commission (at no cost to you) if you make a purchase. This will help to support Joney Talks!