And…Do you even know Pete McPherson?
Amigos (and amigas),
This week I have the pleasure to have Pete McPherson from Do You Even Blog on the show.
I have been following Pete for about 2 years as he offers excellent tips for bloggers and he has had some great interviews on his Podcast as well. As I was following one of his worksheets on how to get started with my podcast, I stumbled upon step 4 where it states “If you need a guest, book me! Regardless of topic!”
-“Fine by me Pete, would you like to join my new podcast venture?” 😉
So we discussed and thought it would be a great idea to share his story of how he left his well-paid stable corporate job as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) to pursue his passion that would earn him $0.
In this episode, we really go deep into the details of how Pete handled the various stages of his career starting from his studies where he almost majored in music, went on to sociology and accounting (!) to his job as CPA which he chose to leave. We then go to the meat of the episode where we discuss his transition from this job to starting “Do You Even Blog?” full time.
If you are here because you are a fellow blogger/Podcaster/”Finconner” , you are in for a treat as well: This will be the perfect episode to learn more about Pete and how “Do You Even Blog?” came to fruition. (spoiler alert: it is a pretty fascinating story!)
This episode is for you if you are considering transitioning full-time into a project you are passionate about and are wondering about how to go on about your potential move.
Here are my quick takeaways from this episode
- Make the best out of unfortunate circumstances and be willing to think out of the box (move out of town, be creative, ask for money to get started on your venture even if it is $50)
- Extreme situations will push you to think about budgeting and frugality for specific goals but you can start developing sound financial habits (and systems) without going to those extremes.
- Find your passion and work for it, make anything possible to enter the field you are passionate about.
- Ease your transition using the Tim Ferriss approach: Build up a side business/activity to test the waters.
- Pete´s takeaway on his own story: Things are never going to be quite as bad as the worst-case scenario your brain is imagining.
Who is Pete McPherson?
Pete defines himself as a “full-time husband and dad, idealistic entrepreneur, purple cow thinker, blogger, marketer, CPA,…” and much more.
In 2016, he left his well-paid accountant job to start www.doyouevenblog.com. He has ever since helped people to start and grow their blogs/podcasts by helping them produce impactful content and generate income.
You can contact him by going to his website or via Twitter.
- Main site: Do You Even Blog?
- Membership community: https://
onlineimpact.co/ (Paid community with several online courses around blogging & podcasting, and 1-on-1 & group support for building this as a business)
- Pete´s beginner’s guide for blogging: https://doyouevenblog.com/
- Mega-post on how to monetize your blog: https://doyouevenblog.com/
- Ramit Sethi´s quote: “Spend extravagantly on the things you love, and cut costs mercilessly on the things you don’t.“